, 1 Home Town - Lëtzebuerg
, 2 The Value of An Image
, 3 Manifesto
, 4 Public/Personal Spaces
, Art Auction 2013
, Book into a Building
, Building into a Book
, Competitions & Projects
, CSM Stage 2
, CSM Stage 3
, Final Versions
, in progress
, Interaction Design
, Live Briefs
, Musical Perception
, The Book and The Building
, The Student Organiser
, Unit 10
, Unit 5
, Unit 6 - The Bigger Picture
, Unit 7
, Visual Language – IKB
As a result of my &London notebooks trending and being on the front page of Etsy for their second time, I got three orders in a week! (personal record!) Therefore I spent a weekend making the notebooks so that I would be able to ship them today (which I did). I had some leftover experimenting printed sheer paper from a competition entrance project (for which I was shortlisted but am still not allowed to talk about), which I used to package the notebooks before sending them of into the UK and into the States.
Our Note to Self Pop Up Shop 2013 is happening at the end of this week, and we are in the final preparations for setting everything up after collecting the notebooks yesterday they are going to be picked up this afternoon so we can set everything up on thursday morning at the London Graphic Centre in Covent Garden, ready for the opening night.
The Shop is going to be running on friday and saturday, and you can find more information on our website, facebook page and the event page on facebook. Follow us on twitter at @csmpopupshop13 and don’t forget to tweet #notetoself
my notebooks are waiting to be put on the Pop Up Shop display
exporting in progress
After filming eighteen people (including me) listening to a mixed track with extracts from various songs with different styles, I have put them together into a video so that the reactions can be compared directly one next to the other.
Setting and coordinating the videos with the music was quite difficult as I relied only on the people’s facial expressions and reactions to orientate the timing.
I am surprised by how little people actually react to music, even though there were one, two songs that affected as good as everyone.
I am still waiting for the video to finish exporting and hope this version is going to be the final one.
Here is a screenshot preview from one of the earlier exported video versions.
I was sceptic about whether I should put everyone in the video or isolate a few, but I think this allows for the widest range of reactions and diversity and gives people something new to discover each time. I am going to have to decide if I am including the music as well.
During this project, I have learned what I cannot do in processing unless I am a coding master, how to book the film studio, set up/prep and film (30-minutes-videos are a bad idea unless you want to end up with 120 gb files to transfer), how to make a music mix, how to edit a video and how to export it (with a lot of patience). So many things I had never done before. Even though my end result may look a bit rough around the edges, I think I managed to get my message through, visualising music through people’s perceptions and reactions, while showing that music is perceived differently by each individual.
I am currently getting my student organiser from the calendar/time is the essence brief ready for assessments. The week has been changed to seven equal days (in comparison to a shared Saturday/Sunday column) and I replaced the monthly overview with the term overview. The stamps stayed the same, but I am thinking about adding “raw” stamps (meaning erasers) so that users could form them according to their moods and change/replace them easily. Unfortunately the A5 is too large as a size to transform into a stamp (which was my initial idea, to make it as affordable and reusable as possible), so I included three sets of ten weeks and a term overview pads. There are also the card pads for the to-do list and legend that goes with the stamp. In order to have some kind of pad paper, I binded the pages together (in their respective stacks) so that it is possible to rip out a page and carry it along with you, although the stacks aren’t very heavy to carry. The paper used is recycled paperback which is better to write on and still keeps a similar look to the sugar paper thus making it look ready to use instead of being too nice/prestigious to write on. I sticked to the simple green/black colour scheme, but realised that it would be possible to vary the colours for the three terms, even though this make them more even and equal.
I have been thinking and thinking about how I could package this without creating a huge box to carry it around with and as I want to keep it as simple as possible.
The whole set is meant to be as affordable as possible as well as reusable (through photo-copying or stamping the week schedules onto different papers).
After a day spend finishing the covers in the letterpress workshop, I have been able to pick up the covers and start to assemble them.
ampersands overflowing the letterpress workshop.
I decided to go with white thread after all as the blue doesn’t go with the grid or print. Meaning I am going to have to buy new thread as I coloured all of the other one in.
the first finished notebook
folding and assembling to get it on the right place (it being the ampersand)
It was quite tricky to get the ampersand formed through the three covers together, for the letterpress printing as well for the folding, but worth it, it retakes the idea of creating a whole through the three parts of the notebook.